Sunday, October 22, 2006

Back to Beaver (10-20)

New sign that replaced Catch and Release Only sign at Beaver Tailwaters

I said I'd get out and fish every weekend in October. It didn't happen. I did get out a lot but did more hiking than fishing. Finally did fish this last Friday and it was my first time to the Beaver tailwaters in about a year. The weather was a perfect 65 degrees with lots of sunshine. Had to go with extra light tippet (7X) because of the sun and had more break offs. This was my first trip there since they changed the Catch and Release Only trophy section to a 13-16 in slot limit artificials only section. I did have many more quality fish but that may have been because I was fishing some big-fish, deeper hole water. I usually see big fish down through this section but they were more enticeable today than most other days, maybe due to the time of year, the fall color, and the prime time for egg patterns. I fished the Thorne's Fire Egg and the Y2K all day and caught 40+ fish, and several that were 15 to 16in (very good for Beaver). Had to drag one very fat rainbow to the bank as I had no net. On my way out I stopped to talk to another fisherman who fished upstream of me much of the day. He introduced himself as Bob Knowles whom I've known through reading to be the designer of the Y2K bug. Must have been satisfying for him to watch me catch fish all day long with his very innovative fly. Fat Beaver Rainbow, Thorne's Fire Egg

Fall color along the White River

No comments: